Curriculum Vitae

Greetings and welcome! This page showcases a collection of my publications, activities, and accolades. As my interests are diverse, you may find web pages and self-published posts that are not readily categorized. Thank you for your curiosity in my work! Chuck Sutherland




Bio

Geographer, photographer, caver


I am a professional geographer specializing in GIS software and data. I am currently employed at the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office as a Fire Prevention Geospatial Analyst. My responsibilities include managing and enhancing data collection systems, and performing analysis. Additionally, I oversee grant processes that aid volunteer fire departments and rescue squads.

I also work part time as an adjunct professor at Tennessee Tech University, where I teach Theory of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) I and II.

I enjoy photography and I am particularly interested in photographing natural phenomena from weather, to flora and fauna, to geology and landforms such as caves, waterfalls, and natural arches, as well as historic and prehistoric cultural resources. My work has appeared in a variety of mediums, including academic journals, music videos, news outlets, books, magazines, and websites with such well known names as The New York Times, BBC and the Discovery Channel having utilized my photography. I have a large archive of photographs of the southeast, which are easily searchable. If you are interested in using a specific photo, please don't hesitate to ask.

I also enjoy caving. I think of it as the most accessible form of "frontier exploration." It is a way to see the Earth from the inside out. Rocks and water have stories to tell. Like a detective, the curious can tease out their stories by carefully reading clues.

While I enjoy photography and caving, my true passion lies in inspiring others to take an interest in science. As a hobbyist citizen scientist, I have had the privilege of utilizing my skills in geography, photography, and caving to collaborate with scientists on remarkable projects.



Media use Guidelines


Thanks for your interest in my work. For licensing any of my photos, videos, or email at cjsuther21@gmail.com, or write me on Facebook. If you're unsure if you need to talk to me about my photos, consult the below guide:

· You may use my media for personal use, excluding printing, at no charge.
· You may share my media on social media, as long as they are properly attributed (the name "Chuck Sutherland", and link to the original where possible).
· You may not use my media to promote an ideology, without my consent and a contract. This includes politics, religions, philosophies, lifestyles, and worldviews.
· You may not use my media for profit without my consent and a contract. This includes ad revenue.
· You may contact me at cjsuther21@gmail.com if you have any questions.



Links and Affiliations


Personal Pages

Partnerships, Contributors to, Member of...



Popular posts from this blog

Missing People Map

Streams of Tennessee

Jungle Book Film (1994) and the Upper Cumberland