Hiking Camera Gear

I've been doing more hiking lately, and as I'm getting back into it I'm finding that I am needing to rethink me solutions. Caving gear camera gear is heavy, and it has to be to protect one's equipment. But in a scenario where you're hiking, you have the luxury of losing some weight. This is what I've been carrying lately for when I'm hiking:



Let's explore each of these items. First, there's the Canon EOS M6 Body. This is my camera. The next two items Canon EF-s 10-18MM and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 are both lenses.

The 10-18mm lens is my workhorse. It can shoot macros, and it is perfect for expansive landscape photography. It's nearly fisheye, but you'll find that it doesn't have the gimmicky feel that a fisheye lens does. The polarizer is for this lens. The polarizer lets me reduce glares and reflections, which makes taking photos of water, or anything wet so much better. It will darken the sky as well, creating deeper blue colors without the ugly side effects of post processing. The compact tripod is also perfect to pair with this lens for bracketing photos or for shooting a long exposure on a waterfall. The tripod folds up quickly and stowes away in my backpack fast.

Below is an example of a landscape I shot using this set of gear.
Orange Falls, Cumberland Trail, Possum Greek Gorge Section, Hamilton County, Tennessee 1
The 50mm lens is an amazing portrait lens, but more frequently when I'm hiking I find myself pairing it with an extension tube and the mini tripod for taking macros of plants and animals I encounter.

Below is an example of a macro I shot using this set of gear.
Geotrupes sp., Cumberland Trail, Possum Greek Gorge Section, Hamilton County, Tennessee
Other considerations should be made for how you can safely carry this equipment in a backpack. What I often do is bring a fleece jacket and put that in my backpack and use it for padding between water bottles and my camera gear. A ziplock plastic bag or two will cover you in a pinch for waterproofing your hardware if you find yourself in a downpour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing People Map

Streams of Tennessee

Jungle Book Film (1994) and the Upper Cumberland